Dr. Nowzaradan is a board-certified general and vascular surgeon. He is also a registered dietitian, author, and TV personality. He is best known for his work on the reality TV show “My 600-lb Life,” on which he helps obese patients lose weight and improve their health. Dr. Nowzaradan has also written several books on diet and nutrition, and he runs a website where he provides advice and resources on weight loss and healthy living.
In addition to his work on “My 600-lb Life,” Dr. Nowzaradan has also appeared on other reality TV shows, including “Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition” and “The Biggest Loser.” He is currently based in Houston, Texas, where he runs a medical practice specializing in weight loss surgery.
What Is Dr. Nowzaradan Diet?
Dr. Nowzaradan diet is a restrictive, low-calorie diet that is typically used for patients who are morbidly obese and need to lose a significant amount of weight before surgery. The diet is named after its creator, Dr. Nowzaradan, who is a board-certified general and vascular surgeon. It is also sometimes referred to as the pre-op diet or the bariatric surgery diet. The goal of the Dr. Nowzaradan diet is to help patients lose enough weight to qualify for bariatric surgery, as well as to prepare them for the post-operative period.
What Are the Benefits of the Dr. Nowzaradan Diet?
There are several benefits of following the Dr. Nowzaradan diet, including:
- Weight loss: The Dr. Nowzaradan diet is a very effective way to lose weight. It is estimated that patients who follow the diet can lose up to 30% of their body weight.
- Improved health: The Dr. Nowzaradan diet can help improve your overall health by reducing your risk for obesity-related diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
- Preparation for surgery: The Dr. Nowzaradan diet can help you lose enough weight to qualify for bariatric surgery. It can also help you recover from surgery more quickly and reduce your risk of complications.
- Improved self-esteem: The Dr. Nowzaradan diet can help improve your self-esteem by helping you lose weight and improve your health.
What Are the Drawbacks of the Dr. Nowzaradan Diet?
There are several drawbacks to following the Dr. Nowzaradan diet, including:
- Restrictive nature: The Dr. Nowzaradan diet is a very restrictive diet that can be difficult to follow. It requires careful planning and preparation, and it can be easy to slip up if you’re not careful.
- Lack of variety: The Dr. Nowzaradan diet can be monotonous and lack variety, which can make it difficult to stick to in the long-term.
- Not sustainable: The Dr. Nowzaradan diet is not a sustainable way of eating for most people. It is designed for people who are morbidly obese and need to lose a significant amount of weight before surgery. Once you reach your goal weight, you will need to find a new way of eating that is more sustainable for your lifestyle.
- May not be appropriate for everyone: The Dr. Nowzaradan diet may not be appropriate for everyone. If you have certain medical conditions, such as diabetes or heart disease, you should speak to your doctor before starting any diet.
How to Follow Dr. Now’s Diet?
There are three main aspects that Dr. Nowzaradan discusses in his book. He uses the acronym “FAT” to explain the three areas that need to be focused on while following his diet.
- F – Frequency. This refers to how often you eat. Dr. Nowzaradan recommends eating two to three meals during the day, without snacks in between.
- A – Amount. This refers to how much you eat. Dr. Nowzaradan recommends eating 1,200 calories per day, split into even portions. So, each meal should consist of 400 to 600 calories.
- T – Type of food. This refers to the types of food you eat. Dr. Nowzaradan recommends eating lean protein, low fat, and low carbs foods. Sugar and processed foods should be avoided.
Food to Eat on Dr. Nowzaradan Diet
There are a few key things to keep in mind when following Dr. Nowzaradan diet. First, you should focus on eating lean protein, low fat and low-carb foods. Second, you should avoid sugary and processed foods. Lower sugar fruits, such as berries, kiwi, and grapefruit, are allowed. Most vegetables are also allowed, except for starchy vegetables, such as potatoes and corn. Whole-grain carbs, such as oatmeal and brown rice, are allowed in limited amounts.
Lean protein such as chicken breast, beans, tofu are all good options.
What Should You Avoid on Dr. Nowzaradan Diet?
There are a few key things to avoid while following Dr. Nowzaradan diet. First, you should avoid sugary and processed foods. This includes sweets, such as candy and cake, as well as processed carbs, such as white bread and pasta. Second, nuts such as peanuts, pistachios, and cashews are also off limits. You should also avoid refined products (popcorn, chips, white bread), as well as butter and oils (vegetable oil, olive oil).
Sample Meal Plan (1200 Calorie Diet Plan)
Here’s the simple meal plan. Remember that this meal plan is only an example, and you should adjust it according to your own calorie needs. Do not attempt to follow this meal plan without first speaking to your doctor.
- Breakfast: spinach and egg whites, mushrooms, part-skim mozzarella, whole-wheat toast, protein shake (low-carb)
- Lunch: grilled chicken, salad
- Dinner: salmon (broiled), asparagus
- Breakfast: fruit smoothie (with 1 cup (0.24 l) skim milk), 1/2 avocado, 1 cup (0.24 l) of strawberries
- Lunch: 1 cup (0.24 l) of broccoli with tofu
- Dinner: low fat chicken and vegetable soup
- Breakfast: nonfat, plain yogurt, 75 grams of berries, skim milk (1 cup), turkey bacon
- Lunch: tuna salad (1 cup) with Greek yogurt, whole-grain pita, carrots
- Dinner: zucchini, ground turkey meatballs, 1 ounce (ca. 38 g) of part-skim mozzarella
Dr. Now Diet – Tips
Before you implement any kind of diet plan, it is important to speak with your doctor. This is especially important if you have any medical conditions or are taking any medications.
If you decide to follow Dr. Nowzaradan diet, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, make sure you follow the diet plan as closely as possible. This means eating the recommended number of meals and calories per day, as well as avoiding sugary and processed foods.
While it is important to focus on the quality of the food you eat, it is also important to pay attention to the quantity. Dr. Nowzaradan diet recommends eating 1,200 calories per day, so any snacks or additional meals will need to be accounted for.
Remember that this meal plan is only a guide. Dr. Nowzaradan diet may not be right for everyone, so it is important to speak with your doctor before starting any new diet plan. Dr. Nowzaradan diet is a restrictive diet for patients with morbid obesity and may cause harm if not followed correctly.
If you want to lose weight in a healthy way, Dr. Nowzaradan’s diet may not be a good option for you. Remember that losing weight is a long and highly individualized process. There is no one “right” way to lose weight. What works for one person may not work for another. The best way to find a diet that works for you is to speak with your doctor or a registered dietitian.
- Liver Shrinking Diet Before Bariatric Surgery: What Is It?
- Metabolic Confusion Diet: Confuse Your Metabolism to Lose Weight
- How Much Weight Can You Lose on a Liquid Diet? The Healthy Range
- What Is Meniere’s Disease Diet? All You Should Know
- 80/20 Diet: Will It Help You Lose Weight? Here’s What You Should Know