What Is an Alkaline Vegan Diet?
The alkaline vegan diet is a plant-based diet that focuses on foods that are alkalizing to the body. The general principle behind the alkaline vegan diet is that eating alkalizing foods will help to balance the body’s pH levels and promote overall health. The diet includes plenty of fruits and vegetables, as well as some nuts, seeds, and legumes. While there is no one-size-fits-all approach to the alkaline vegan diet, it is generally recommended that 75-80% of the foods consumed should be alkalizing. This can help to restore pH balance and promote optimal health.
Dr. Sebi and Alkaline Diet
Alkaline Food List
The alkaline diet is a diet that focuses on foods that are low in acidity. Proponents of the diet claim that eating alkaline foods can help to improve health and reduce the risk of disease. Some of the approved foods for alkaline vegan diet include:
- fruits: lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits, watermelons, cantaloupes, honeydews, bananas, coconuts, avocados, apricots, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries;
- vegetables: broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, garlic, green beans, kale, lettuce, onion, peas, peppers, spinach;
- nuts and seeds: almonds, chestnuts, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds;
- legumes: beans, lentils, peas;
- protein: tofu, tempeh;
- oils: olive oil, coconut oil;
- herbs and spices: basil, oregano, turmeric, ginger.
Acidic Foods to Avoid
While the alkaline diet includes a wide variety of foods, there are also a number of acidic foods that should be avoided. These foods include:
- meat: beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey;
- fish: tuna, salmon, shrimp, crab;
- dairy: milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream;
- processed foods: bread, pasta, cereal, cookies, cakes, chips;
- canned foods;
- sugar and artificial sweeteners;
- coffee and tea;
Alkaline Vegan Diet Meal Ideas
The alkaline diet doesn’t have to be just plain fruit and veggies. There are plenty of possibilities for a satisfying plant-based alkaline meal. For example, a simple alkaline vegan meal might consist of quinoa with steamed broccoli and roasted sweet potatoes. Another option might be a lentil soup with kale and roasted onions. For salad dressing, we recommend mixing herbs with olive oil and a tiny bit of lemon juice. And if you’re craving something sweet, you can always use a plant-based milk to make a fruit shake.
These meal ideas are just a starting point – there are endless possibilities for creating delicious and healthful alkaline vegan meals.
Health Benefits of an Alkaline Diet
There are a number of potential health benefits associated with the alkaline vegan diet. These benefits include:
- Weight loss: The alkaline diet is believed to help you lose weight by encouraging the body to release stored fat.
- Reduced risk of disease: Eating alkaline foods is believed to help to reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
- Improved digestion: The alkaline diet can help to improve digestion by promoting the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
- Increased energy: The alkaline diet may help to increase energy levels by improving the body’s ability to absorb nutrients.
On the other hand, there are a few potential drawbacks associated with this diet, toot. These drawbacks include:
- Elimination of certain foods: The alkaline diet eliminates certain foods that may be nutritious and healthful.
- Cost: Some of the recommended foods on the alkaline diet, such as organic produce and fresh fruit, can be expensive.
- Lack of scientific evidence: There is limited scientific evidence to support the claims made about the health benefits of the alkaline diet.
The Difference Between a Plant-Based Diet and Alkaline Diet
Alkaline Diet Key Takeaways
While there is some evidence to support this claim, it is important to note that the effect of food on pH levels (be it blood pH or urine pH) is very small. As such, there is no need to completely eliminate acid-forming foods from your diet. Instead, focus on consuming a variety of healthy, nutrient-rich foods. Approved products include most fruits and vegetables, as well as tofu, nuts, and seeds.
Dairy and grain products are generally discouraged, but low-fat yogurt and whole-wheat bread are often allowed in moderation. When it comes to drinks, water is always the best choice, but unsweetened green tea or herbal tea are also generally considered to be alkalizing. Remember, the goal is to eat a balance of alkalizing and acid-forming foods, so don’t hesitate to enjoy your favorite meals in moderation.